Friday, August 1, 2008

Gestational Diabetes

2 weeks ago I took the 1-hour glucose test. Ends up I failed that one, so I asked the nurse what I could do to help myself pass the 2nd test which is the 3-hour. She said for the next week to lay off of sugars. Ok, I can do that... with much will power! I layed off any sweets and any food that had a lot of sugars added to them. I read labels and mainly bought all fruit and organic food to eat. My sweet tooth has actually gone away.... But the way I am if I had another something sweet, my sweet tooth would come back very quickly... so I had absolutely nothing!
Well, Tuesday of this week I took the 3 hour glucose test, in which the nurse drew my blood for a fasting test. Then I had to drink the sweetest drink ever... down in 5 minutes. Then ever hour after that for the next 3 hours, the nurse drew blood to test. I passed my fasting test, but failed the others, so the result... I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Next week I will go to a class to learn exactly how to take care of myself and baby. I will be monitoring my blood sugar levels, blood pressure, the baby's movement and growth. I
I pray that God will watch over my baby and protect her health.
As for me, I am looking at it as an opportunity to get myself on a healthier life plan than I ever knew how to. I get to go to a dietitian which I always thought would be fun to do anyways. I am all for getting healthy.
If I want my children to grow up healthy, what better way than to lead by example right!?!?
So, as God tells us in his word, "... in everything give thanks," that's what I'm doing.

No comments: